Choose One: SCIM or FCITX
A couple of notes to cut through the fog. You need either SCIM or fcitx. One or the other, and not both. I downloaded both and got very confused. I finally got SCIM to work, precise 5.7.1 was released by Barry K on Aug 3, 2013, chinese input post Tue 21 Feb 2017) so these instructions are for SCIM. I did not use the Full Chinese (complete OS in Chinese) but the half Chinese (Chinese input and display)
Download the SCIM File
You need this SCIM file:
scim Chinese input platform:
scim_1.4.9-en-zh-precise-12.0.0.pet (21.6 mb)
Fortunately icake has the links on page 1:
Universal Half-Chinese Pets 萬用半中文包: https://goo.gl/kdfkFG
Unfortunately the file is not on the Google Drive link. Fortunately the file is on the Baidu link. Unfortunately you cannot do this from your newly installed Puppy Linux, because its included browser, Opera, is not allowed to access Google Drive, and if you could access Google drive, the file is not there anyway. I downloaded Firefox, just to be told by Google Drive that I needed to upgrade. The Baidu link is in Chinese, and as you cannot yet render Chinese (the purpose of this exercise) you will only see small rectangles for Chinese on the screen! On Baidu you could click on the “Half-Chinese Language pets” partial label to get to the directory, but you would not know this as you could not read the rest of the Chinese. Why? Because you still do not have Chinese installed on Puppy Linux, that is why. It is best if you do this with another computer that does render Chinese, and that you can read Chinese as well.
From Baidu download the file scim_1.4.9-en-zh-precise-12.0.0.pet to a USB drive.
Installing Chinese to Puppy Linux Precise 5.7.1
You are finally ready to install Chinese.
- Boot up Puppy and get a network connection
- Install the Chinese .pet: Navigate to your USB drive, find the file scim_1.4.9-en-zh-precise-12.0.0.pet and click to install. Wait for he install to finish. It will tell you that changes will not take effect until you restart X server (later)
- Install Sun pinyin: I prefer SunPinyin, but this step is optional. To install it start up the Menu > Setup > Puppy Program Manager (PPM) and search for “scim”. There will be a scim-sunpinyin-2.0.3 file. Click it, look for dependencies and download it from the ubuntu library.
- Menu > Setup > SCIM Input Method Setup > IMEngine >Global Setup: I unchecked traditional Chinese, as well as all other simplified Chinese methods except Google Chinese and SunPinyin. This is your preference. Click Ok. It will tell you that changes will not take place until you restart SCIM (later).
- You now need to restart x server, followed by a restart of SCIM. Puppy told you this before, but no worries. I’ll give you the skinny.
- Restart X server
<ctrl><alt><backspace>: to restart x server
startx: restart x server
- Restart SCIM
Find a unix terminal program. In Puppy it is called “Console” and is the white monitor icon at the top. Type these commands:
sudo pkill -9 scim